Sunday, April 20, 2008

Grandma's carrot pudding

This is a receipe for carrot pudding that my grandmother Pearl was given in the early years of her marriage. Grandpa and Grandma lived in Exeter, Ca and her neighbor was Mrs. Matchett. This is the little paper that she copied it on and I found it in one of her books years before she passed away. This was when she told me the story about the "Carrot Pudding." I have made it many times years ago and we had it at Christmas and Thanksgiving.
This was the days before food processors and we used hand grinders. It was a lot of work. Of course it was not to healthy as it had 1 cup of grated suet.* If you don't know what suet is-it is fat that is cut off of meat before it is cooked and you ask the butcher for it and he will give you some to take home and grind. I think David was the only one of my boys that like it but it brings back a lot of good memories for me when I was a little girl.
Grandma would serve it in little white desert dishes set on a doillie on a saucer. Then she made a powdered sugar and butter sauce to pour over the hot pudding. It would melt into the pudding and was really delicious. Of course none of this had any calories????? The adults added a bit of brandy to their sauce and called it "hard sauce."
It is very moist and dark in color. I add chopped walnuts and some raisins.
If you are ever hear at Thanksgiving or Christmas I will make it for you!
* In answer to Ginger, I did use shortening instead of suet and it worked very well and I felt better about it.!Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Ginger said...

I don't think I could stomach suet, just by reason that it is what I use to feed some birds in the winter time... but I wonder if one could use shortening instead?